“At Orbitz we are shocked and disappointed by the attack on our brand by the organization that is behind this DropFox initiative. Rather than engage in a productive dialogue about these matters, this group seems intent on waging a public smear campaign against Orbitz and distorting our record as a leading supporter of the LGBT community. We’re responding by launching a TRUTH campaign that highlights our deep commitment to promoting tolerance, non-discrimination and equality, and our longstanding history of working with the LGBT community.
The Orbitz core values of tolerance, non-discrimination and equality are an integral part of our employment practices as well as our marketing efforts, which include advertising campaigns across a broad range of media outlets.
We welcome engagement and discussion with our customers, and appreciate the open and forthright exchange of ideas. However, we absolutely condemn the efforts of the campaign organizers to smear our brand through the use of misinformation about Orbitz’ long history working with the LGBT community.
Orbitz will continue to respect and serve the needs of ALL travelers no matter their politics, race, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity.”
To set the record straight, here is the TRUTH about Orbitz and the LGBT community.
TRUTH: Orbitz is committed to its core values of tolerance, non-discrimination and equality. Orbitz runs advertising campaigns across a broad range of media outlets to ensure its messages reach a broad and diverse audience.
- Orbitz has been attacked for advertising on the LOGO TV channel too. We didn’t give in to bully tactics then, and we’re not going to now. We believe passionately in tolerance, non-discrimination and equality, and this extends to ensuring our message is heard across the political spectrum.
TRUTH: Orbitz has been a leader in promoting diversity through innovative marketing.
- This 2008 Orbitz Golfers ad won the GLAAD Media Award for its creative inclusion of the HRC logo into mainstream advertising: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aik-DvbJnBo
- Orbitz also has a track record of producing many ads that speak directly to the LGBT community:
Orbitz Matrix Display: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRKSQtllWxw
New Boyfriend: www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j4EgBG9frs
Bad Weather: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHGT96-AAic
TRUTH: “Orbitz is an industry leader in supporting our community” – Jarrett Barrios, President of GLAAD, May 16, 2011.
- Since its launch in 2001, Orbitz has invested millions of dollars in LGBT charities and events including HRC, PFLAG, The Trevor Project, The Matthew Shepard Foundation and GLAAD.
TRUTH: Orbitz is one of the few leading brands in the world to promote its LGBT offerings directly from its homepage.
- Furthermore, Orbitz was the first major online travel company to launch a website dedicated to gay and lesbian travel (www.GayOrbitz.com).
TRUTH: Orbitz is a leader in promoting non-discrimination and equality in the workplace.
- Orbitz earned a perfect 100% score on the Human Rights Campaign’s 2011 Corporate Equality Index.
TRUTH: LGBT organizations that Orbitz has sponsored over the past decade are now telling the DropFox organizers to stop their misguided attack on Orbitz.
- Orbitz is a strong ally of the LGBT community and always will be.