CHICAGO - November 27, 2007 - With overall business travel costs predicted to rise between 6% and 8% in 2008 1 , including forecasted increases in airfare, hotel rates and rental car spend 2 , many companies are likely to curtail travel expenditures. In fact, one area where businesses already appear to be saving is lodging - as nearly one-quarter (24%) of business travelers surveyed by Orbitz for Business say they've had to share a room with a colleague when traveling on business.
There are many ways to cut down on travel costs, including booking business travel online. This month's Orbitz for Business survey found that while some employers may also mandate room-sharing as a way to save, travelers who have the freedom to book their own accommodations do so based more on need, and less on price. According to the Orbitz for Business survey, in determining how much money to spend on lodging, 62 percent of respondents select a hotel that suits their needs, regardless of the price. Conversely, only 12 percent take saving company dollars into their own hands, saying they choose a less-expensive hotel than what their company would allow.
"Business travel can be both taxing on the traveler and if not managed properly, costly for the company," said Dean Sivley, COO and general manager, Orbitz for Business. "We recognize that many businesses are eager to manage travel spending, while also giving their employees the flexibility and control to plan and book travel. It's Orbitz for Business' mission to provide solutions that readily do both."
What do travelers see as the biggest benefit of traveling for business? According to those surveyed, it's the opportunity to see different parts of the country and the world (62 percent), followed by accumulating frequent flier miles/loyalty points (19 percent).
The survey also asked business travelers what item they would miss most if their luggage were lost. Not surprisingly, a toothbrush was first with 54 percent, followed by deodorant at 27 percent.
Further details and findings of the Orbitz for Business corporate traveler survey include:
- Nearly one-quarter (24 percent) of business travelers surveyed this month reported they have had to share a room with a colleague when traveling for business.
- Sixty-two percent of business travelers choose a room that suits their needs, regardless of price, while only 12 percent choose a less-expensive hotel than what their company would allow. The remaining 26% say it depends on other factors.
- Seeing new places is the biggest benefit of traveling for business according to 63% of those surveyed. Other responses include:
- Accumulating frequent flier miles/loyalty points - 19%
- A quiet night's sleep in hotels - 8%
- Getting away from home - 7%
- The opportunity to enjoy fine dining on the company - 4%
- If luggage were lost, most business travelers (57%) agree their toothbrush is the one item they could not live without. Deodorant was second at 27%. Other responses included contact solution, make-up items, moisturizer and lip balm.
About Orbitz for Business
Orbitz for Business (www.orbitzforbusiness.com) is the corporate travel brand of Orbitz Worldwide. Orbitz for Business serves over 2,000 corporate customers and more than a million business travelers. Launched in 2002, Orbitz for Business was one of the first full-service managed business travel programs offered by an online agency. Orbitz for Business includes a portfolio of business travel products for small to large companies. Its products include self managed services for small business, managed travel services with fulfillment and service support and international capabilities.
About Orbitz Worldwide
Orbitz Worldwide (NYSE: OWW) is a leading global online travel company that uses innovative technology to enable leisure and business travelers to research, plan and book a broad range of travel products. Orbitz Worldwide owns and operates a portfolio of consumer brands that includes Orbitz (www.orbitz.com), CheapTickets (www.cheaptickets.com), ebookers (www.ebookers.com), HotelClub (www.hotelclub.com), RatesToGo (www.ratestogo.com), the Away Network (www.away.com) and corporate travel brand Orbitz for Business (www.orbitzforbusiness.com). For more information, visit the Orbitz Worldwide Investor Relations website at http://www.orbitz-ir.com.
1 National Business Travel Association - U.S. Business Travel Overview and Cost Forecast Report
2 National Business Travel Association - U.S. Business Travel Overview and Cost Forecast Report
Orbitz.com/Orbitz for Business
Brodeur (for Orbitz for Business)