|Orbitz Celebrates 50 Years of Rock 'n Roll with |
"Summer of Rock" Promotion
Orbitz and Photographer Kevin Mazur Join Forces and Create Self-guided Tours To Visit Rock's Most Important LandmarksChicago, IL (June 21, 2004) -- Fifty years ago this summer, Elvis Presley walked into Sun Studios and rock 'n roll was born. This summer, Orbitz, the site that makes it easy to find great travel deals, announces its "Summer of Rock" promotion.
Partnering with veteran rock photographer Kevin Mazur, Orbitz's "Summer of Rock" is an online, multi-city backstage pass to visit the country's music landmarks complete with self-guided tours to top destinations and great hotel deals. Orbitz, in collaboration with Mazur, takes site users inside 12 legendary music cities - where it's fun to be a tourist and a music fan - with insider knowledge of the hotspots, rock history and trivia. Behind-the-scenes tips and tours for cities such as Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco and Memphis are accessible on the Orbitz homepage or at www.orbitz.com/rock where travelers will find:
"I've been lucky in that I've witnessed rock's behind-the-scenes moments since shooting my first concert in the 1980's," says Mazur, whose 20-year career has sent him on tour with such music legends as Elton John, U2, Rolling Stones and Prince, and landed him a gig as chief photographer for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. "That's why I partnered with Orbitz to create these tours, so fans can experience the music they love and the places where rock history was made."
- Self-guided tours, including Memphis' Rock and Roll Roots Tour where visitors are directed to experience Elvis' Graceland, the Gibson Guitar Factory and the Rock n' Soul Museum. Similar tours are available for New York and Seattle, among others destinations, and direct travelers to the clubs, halls and lounges where the cities nurture their home grown sounds.
- Printable maps that travelers can take with them when they explore the musical haunts of rockers from the Talking Heads to Jimi Hendrix. There are even insider tidbits from Mazur on his favorite must-stop haunts including shopping San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district for rock memorabilia.
- Summer event and concert listings to reinforce or rekindle the inner-rocker in everyone, ranging from the 47th Annual Monterey Jazz Festival to Lollapalooza.
- A slide show of Mazur's prized photos of rock's royalty, with the inside scoop about each performer, including personal insights on legends such as Bruce Springsteen and Elton John.
- Specially-negotiated deals on hotels, including Chicago's new Hard Rock Hotel starting at $179 per night and including an Orbitz bonus of $15 of free food and beverages in the Bass Bar or towards a room service purchase.
- Relevant music is streamed for serenading while site users research each rock tour, whether fans' music tastes include Seattle grunge or the boy bands of Orlando.
"As music fans across America tune into everything rock 'n roll this summer, Orbitz's 'Summer of Rock' program gives people who are passionate about music an easy way to blend it with their love of travel," said John Samuel, Orbitz Executive Vice President for Consumer Travel. "Just as Orbitz makes it easy to find great deals on travel, we're making it easy for fans to match their music interests to a versatile list of locations and themes - from New York's 'Punk Rock' Tour to Memphis's 'The King' Tour - so there's something for everyone who loves rock 'n roll."
"Summer of Rock" includes an online promotion (www.orbitz.com/rocktrivia) where contestants can answer three rotating trivia questions each week from June 19 through July 31, for a chance to win one of 15 trips for two to a rock tour destination. Winners also will receive a prize package of 15 CDs from the artists featured on the Summer of Rock tour pages.
Orbitz, Inc. became a publicly traded company on Dec. 17, 2003, when its shares were listed on NASDAQ under the ticker symbol ORBZ. Orbitz is a leading online travel company that enables travelers to search for and purchase a broad array of travel products, including airline tickets, lodging, rental cars, cruises and vacation packages. Since launching its website in June 2001, Orbitz has become the third largest online travel site based on gross travel bookings. On Orbitz, consumers can search more than 455 airlines, as well as rates at over 45,000 lodging properties and at 23 car rental companies. For more information, visit www.orbitz.com.
Statements in this press release regarding Orbitz that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements and are subject to risks, assumptions and uncertainties that could cause such statements to differ materially from actual future events or results. Any such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. The following factors, among others, could cause Orbitz' actual results to differ materially from those described in a forward-looking statement: Orbitz' ability to retain and attract customers on a cost-effective basis; increasing competition from existing or new competitors; relationships with Orbitz' controlling stockholders and with other travel suppliers; limitations that could affect the expansion of our Supplier Link business; risks relating to our ability to expand our business generally; specific risks that could affect our ability to achieve growth plans for portions of our business, such as hotels; rapid technological change affecting our industry; risks associated with litigation or government regulation; declines, disruptions or events affecting the travel industry; potential fluctuations in our quarterly and annual results. This list is intended to identify only certain of the principal factors that could cause actual results to differ. Readers are referred to the reports and documents filed from time to time by Orbitz with the Securities and Exchange Commission for a discussion of these and other important risk factors. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which are made as of the date of this press release. Orbitz undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or any other reason.p>
|"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Statements in this press release regarding Orbitz Worldwide Inc.'s business which are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see "Risk Factors" in the Company's Annual Report or Form 10-K for the most recently ended fiscal year.|