|Orbitz Rocks Across America Celebrating 50 years of Rock 'n Roll |
Summer Deals to Landmark Music Destinations
Chicago, June 21, 2004 (Nasdaq: ORBZ) - This summer, America celebrates the 50th anniversary of the day Elvis Presley walked into Sun Studios and rock 'n roll was born. While America tunes into everything rock 'n roll, Orbitz, the site that makes it easy to find great travel deals, is giving fans an all-access pass to visit the country's musical landmarks, outdoor arenas, underground clubs and birthplaces of rock 'n roll with its "Summer of Rock" program.
Orbitz partnered with 20-year veteran rock photographer Kevin Mazur to identify some of the hippest music destinations around the country, from Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco to CBGB's in New York City. It then created 12 Summer of Rock self-guided tours in some of this summers' hottest destinations. Whether parents want to bond with their kids over the music they grew up with or take a long weekend and relive their youth, music lovers can find conveniently mapped-out trips when they click on the "Summer of Rock" promotion found on the Orbitz homepage now through August 7, 2004.
Tips to Travel like a Rock Star:
- Orbitz's Summer of Rock offers specially negotiated rates on hotels located near the rockin' hotspots identified in these tour cities, including Memphis, Seattle, New York, Chicago and others. For instance, if travelers are visiting Las Vegas this summer to see the legendary Elton John perform, they can stay at the four-star MGM Grand for just $79 per night. All special rates are good through July 31, 2004.
- Summer of Rock offers an extensive guide for each city, providing a map and descriptions of local landmarks no fan should miss. Visit the quintessential rock venue, The Fillmore in San Francisco, or see The Elvis-A-Rama Museum in Las Vegas, featuring artifacts, memorabilia and even an Elvis impersonator show.
- Searching for a great rock show? Summer of Rock provides a listing of the top music venues in each city, as well as listings of upcoming music events like the 50th Anniversary Party at Sun Studio and Commemorative Concert in Memphis.
Trips to Rockin' U.S. Cities:
- New York City: The luxury four-star Iroquois Hotel is conveniently located in midtown, close to 5th Avenue shopping and Times Square. This hotel was once home to screen legend James Dean from 1950-1953. Rates start at $178 a night and stay three or more nights and receive 10% off each night.
- Seattle: The three-star Paramount Hotel Seattle located in the heart of the downtown music club scene has rates starting at $179 a night. To see where the Seattle music scene started, visit the Experience Music Project, inspired by hometown rocker Jimi Hendrix. The EMP is an interactive music museum dedicated to American pop history.
- Memphis: Stay at the three-star Peabody Memphis, the South's grand hotel for over 130 years with rates starting at $149 a night. The hotel is located near Beale Street and Memphis' greatest attraction, Graceland.
- Las Vegas: Experience the lush accommodations at Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino located right on the Strip. The rates for this four-star resort start at $122 a night. In addition to the hotspots on the Vegas Rock tour, Mandalay Bay is home to the world-famous House of Blues.
- Chicago: Check out the four-star Hard Rock Chicago, the towering Carbide and Carbon Building gets a Hard Rock make-over, transforming it from historic 40-story skyscraper to a rockin' hotel. Rates start at $179 a night. Book with Orbitz and receive $15 of free food & beverage in the Bass Bar or towards room service.
- San Francisco: The legendary and newly renovated Pan Pacific is located near Union Square, famous for world-class shopping. The rates for this four-star hotel start at $149 a night and stay two or more nights and receive 10% off. While in San Francisco it is a must to visit Haight-Ashbury, the infamous hippie district of the late '60. See where Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead used to live at 710 Ashbury, and Janis Joplin's home was located at 112 Lyon.
Please note: Package prices subject to availability. Please contact Orbitz for up-to-the-minute pricing and deals from your home city.
Orbitz is a leading online travel company that enables travelers to search for and purchase a broad array of travel products, including airline tickets, lodging, rental cars, cruises and vacation packages. Since launching its website in June 2001, Orbitz has become the third largest online travel site based on gross travel bookings. On www.orbitz.com, consumers can search more than 455 airlines, as well as rates at over 45,000 lodging properties and at 23 car rental companies. Orbitz, Inc. became a publicly traded company on Dec. 17, 2003, when its shares were listed on the Nasdaq National Market under the ticker symbol ORBZ. For more information on the company, visit www.orbitz.com.
Statements in this press release regarding Orbitz that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements and are subject to risks, assumptions and uncertainties that could cause such statements to differ materially from actual future events or results. Any such forward-looking statements are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. The following factors, among others, could cause Orbitz' actual results to differ materially from those described in a forward-looking statement: Orbitz' ability to retain and attract customers on a cost-effective basis; increasing competition from existing or new competitors; relationships with Orbitz' controlling stockholders and with other travel suppliers; limitations that could affect the expansion of our Supplier Link business; risks relating to our ability to expand our business generally; specific risks that could affect our ability to achieve growth plans for portions of our business, such as hotels; rapid technological change affecting our industry; risks associated with litigation or government regulation; declines, disruptions or events affecting the travel industry; potential fluctuations in our quarterly and annual results. This list is intended to identify only certain of the principal factors that could cause actual results to differ. Readers are referred to the reports and documents filed from time to time by Orbitz with the Securities and Exchange Commission for a discussion of these and other important risk factors. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on forward-looking statements, which are made as of the date of this press release. Orbitz undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or any other reason.
|"Safe Harbor" Statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: Statements in this press release regarding Orbitz Worldwide Inc.'s business which are not historical facts are "forward-looking statements" that involve risks and uncertainties. For a discussion of such risks and uncertainties, which could cause actual results to differ from those contained in the forward-looking statements, see "Risk Factors" in the Company's Annual Report or Form 10-K for the most recently ended fiscal year.|